Friday, August 11, 2006

Safely Arrived

Just a brief note telling y'all that I arrived safely. The plane rides were easy (isn't it strange that plane rides actually take hours and hours but when you get off it feels like no time has passed at all?). I couldn't make sense of the fact that it was Thursday night when I finally got home. They just waved me through customs and hardly spoke a word to me, and I was also able to find a cart to push my stuff around. Though, I did have problems juding the size of my bags and kept getting caught in small places with other people's baggage as well.

Today I went to HCC (my fellowship) and then spent the afternoon with my Arab family. They fed me loads of food and told me over and over that I "lit up their world" with my arrival. It's so wonderful to be here and have a place to fit. My first silly language move: they were trying to tell me how to say watermelon in Arabic ("balikh"), but I thought they were saying "my name is" so I kept calling one of my brothers balikh and they kept laughing at me until someone explained it. Nevertheless, the name has stuck and I now call him balikh. My Arab father has told me he will teach me all of Arabic and I that I should come over every day and he cannot wait to meet my parents in the spring. He will be their official tour guide. Ha! Then, I came home and took a nap (a nine hour time difference can really take a toll on a person!) and now I'm going to dinner with my co-workers.

I have an apartment all set for me to move into, so I will do that when I get back from my trip next week. I'll be living with two other girls in "Medan Triumph," which is kind of like a burrow of the city I live in. Appartently it has a great night life!

Being here feels like home already. I missed the INSANE traffic with incessant honking, the fresh, fresh fruit, the 5 times daily call to prayer, and the silly jokes everyone makes. The heat came as kind of a suprise. I don't think I'll feel any sort of cool until November, but I can't complain considering how much I dislike the winter.

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone! I'll update soon!

5 comments:

Jimmy Bollinger said...

Glad to hear you made it safely Sarah, and I look forward to hearing more soon. Some good news on my end, I sold my car today!! I'm well on my way out the door to Bolivia. Anyway, take care and be safe!

Jimmy

Lesli said...

I am glad you arrived safetly! I have been thinking about you a lot in the past couple days. Its funny you won't be experiencing winter until November and this is our last month of warmth until next May. haha. That's Siberia for you. I love you tons! :)

David Long said...

Great news about your safe arrival and your phone story! I am having a great time visualizing you in that transaction... I bet it was fun! Marie and I love you very much. Talk soon, David

Ordinary Radical said...

Im so freakin' happy for ya!

Randy Skeen said...

Sarah -
It lightens my heart to hear your words. I've been thinking about you non-stop since I last received your voice mail. I'm sorry I missed the party. I'm relieved to hear that you're safe and happy although it doesn't surprise me one bit. I just want to say that I'm extremely proud of you for your strength and courage. I commend you on you and all that you've learned this past summer. I believe it was imperative to your departure. Congratulations - you've made it. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. I'll miss you tons. I look forward to cultivating this friendship from a distance. Take care Sarah.
Randy