Saturday, August 12, 2006

Triumph #1

Today was a triumphant day where I set out on my own with an agenda...and I actually accomplished it...in Arabic! Ha!

I slept in until 11am. This partially due to jet lag and partially due to the fact that the city culture doesn't slow down until between 2 and 3am. A co-worker and I hit up "City Stars" shopping mall to find a few things and then had my favorite meal, called Kushari. It consists of macaroni noodles, spaghetti noodles, lentils, and like 15 other random foods. Then, you pour tomato and lemon sauce over the top and mix it up and eat it. The best part is that it only costs $.50. Holla!

We came home and I took a nap. Once refreshed I decided it was time for me to adventure on my own. I braved the insane traffic and crossed the street on my own, flagged a taxi, and said something along the lines of, "Corba, sharia Baghdad." I'm not really sure what that means, but the driver took me to the right place where I then said, "Henna, quais," meaning here is fine. I handed him some money and then wandered my way into the Votophone store. Yes, it was time for me to get a mobile (the word they use for cell phones here. To pronounce it right, you need to speak in a British accent and make sure it has 3 syllables: mo-bi-al, not to be confused with the Spanish mo-bi-le). I picked out my own, got some sort of plan that confused me even though I had it repeated to me four times. I finally pretended I understood and just signed the dotted line. I found my way home in triumph! Here's a picture of me celebrating my new phone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah-So glad to hear that you arrived safely and that you are doing well. Keep up the good blogging, the stories are so fun! Thinking lots of you and so excited to hear more.

Anna S

Joyous said...

HOLLA! Now you got some digits! Good job my friend. :-D

I hope to go on another adventure such as dashing from cars with you someday!

xoxo

Jimmy Bollinger said...

good work Sarah! That's what I call efficient use of your limited Arabic. Hope you have a good trip to wherever you are going for the next 10 days! Thinking of you every day!