Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy 2007

Merry Christmas and Happy 2007!!! It's been a busy last couple of weeks for me, so this will be a fun-filled blog post!

First of all, my dear, dear friend Amanda came to celebrate Christmas with us. She just left today and we had a blast together!


Dec 23
: Paid a visit to the animal crulety center--oh, I mean, the Zoo. It was fun and we got to get really, really close to the animals but kind of sad to see how poorly the animals were treated. I don't really even like animals and I felt bad for them. The highlights were the regular cats in cages--don't they have enough of these wandering the streets here? Also probably the spider monkey and the angry roaring lion. I did my best to steer clear of the birds because I didn't feel like getting bird flu that day.


Not really sure what animal I'm feeding.



This guy looks like Chewbacca (from Star Wars)


Just in case you considered it...

Dec 24
: Christmas Eve party. I made mom's fudge and it actually turned out. We also went to church, but it wasn't like home. Fun all the same though!

Dec 25
: Spent Christmas with some friends. We played games, ate brunch, and watched Little House on the Prairie. Trust me, it was more fun than it sounds.



Dec 26: Everyone (except me, for some strange reason!) from Christmas Eve and Christmas got some crazy stomach flu so I spent the day caring for some sick people. We had to postpone our trip to the Red Sea and devoted the day to sleeping instead.

Dec 27-29: Headed to a villa on the Red Sea to relax. We watched a lot of movies and just hung out and talked. It was nice to get out of the city.


I couldn't pass up this photo op.


When we got back we visited the Citadel with some friends. I can't really explain, but it was one of the most challenging cultural experiences I've had here. I have a tendency to learn the hard way. All in all, it was a good time though. The view of the city was spectacular.





Dec 30: Another challenging day. It was a festival where everyone sacrificed animals in the streets, so everywhere
I went, there were goats and cows being slaughtered in the streets. I had to step through pools of blood and everything. Our building still smells like dead animals and blood. Everyday offers a new experience!

We also went with some friends to "Garbage City." This is the place where all the garbage collectors live and sort all the garbage. It left me speechless. At the top of the area, there is this church that was carved out of a mountain. It can seat up to 17,000 people and was really amazing. The people were wonderful, and some man even offered to give me a tattoo, assuring me the needles were clean. I decided to pass on the offer.




Photos don't do it justice.


A view of garbage city. If you look close, you can see it is literally a garbage city.


Playing at the playground at the top of the city.


A view of the city. Amazing, eh?

Dec 31: Spent the day with some friends, went out for dinner, and had a relaxing New Years Eve. I hardly made it into the new year, I was so tired.


No comments: