Sunday, January 28, 2007

Recipe

There are very few Middle Eastern foods I know how to make, but one has become a staple in my diet. Really, I eat it almost every day, so I figured I would share the delights of it with you! (Keep in mind this is the "Sarah version" so I don't actually measure anything but I'll try to estimate for your sake.)

Lentil Soup (a3ts):
3 cups of lentils (I prefer brown, but orange works too)
5-6 cups of water
*boil the lentils in the water...for a really long time
2 white onions cut in pieces
3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
*saute in oil until brown
*you can also add carrots, zucchini, or watever else you want, though I wouldn't recommend potatoes

*add onions and garlic to the lentils and continue to let it boil. At this point, I add a lot of cumin (maybe 4 tsp.), salt (maybe 3 tsp), black pepper (maybe 2 tsp), and chili pepper (maybe 1-2 tsp.). Really, this is all up to your personal taste. I like spicy!
*sprinkle in about 2 T of flour to thicken the soup.
*cook until the lentils are soft, but not mushy
*squeeze a fresh lemon over the top when you eat it. (I'm not big into sour, but I think the more lemon the better in this one!)

And there you have my most common Middle Eastern cuisine food! Let me know how it goes if you make it!

Also, check out my first ever crocheted hat! Not sure when I'm going to wear it considering that I live in the desert, but it was fun to make!

2 comments:

Joyous said...

wow girlie! look at you! cooking and crocheting away! you're turning into a regular Suzie Homemaker! *smirk* i do love the hat though...it's pretty awesome!

Lisa said...

The lentils are alright, I didn't put in any flour because I didn't feel like dying today, and really like the lemon. I cut the recipe in half and it still makes a lot. I like them, but J won't eat them, I think he'd starve out there! I love the hat btw. (J says "that's not true, I'd be fine, camel meat taste's good!") We miss you!