Monday, May 14, 2007

Structure

Structure. I am in desperate need of structure. There are some people (my dad, for example) who amaze me by their discipline and their self-ordered structure. He wakes up at the same time everyday and does the exact same thing at the same thing all day long. And, believe it or not, he acctually accomplishes something!

I, on the other hand, revolt at anything even involving slight structure. The thought of waking up at the same time everyday and having some sort of ritual actually horrifies me. And, believe it or not, I accomplish much less in a day than my dad.

So, the question of the day is: how does someone who is repelled by structure become structured so she accomplishes something in her life? I want to have time to catch up on emails and follow through with relationships, read and study, learn and practice Arabic, shower, exercise, cook, etc. everyday. But, how do I do that when I don't like to be told what to do--even by my own self?

Please, those of you who are structured and have some sort of invigorating and thrilling system of structure (boring won't do for me!), send me an email and teach me!!!

And...on a completely different note, I had my first clothing casualty from our clothesline. I dropped my black shirt--of course the one I wear the most--off the clothesline a few days ago. When I went to the neighbor's hosue to retrieve it, it was missing. I went to a different neighbor and they didn't have it either. So, my black shirt has gone A-WAL. I told our boab (doorman) to keep an eye out for it, and he laughed at me. Bummer.

2 comments:

Liana said...

you must not be the only person who needs structure, because no one is giving you any advice. :)

Les said...

I can't help you there. I am pretty structure-less right now. But I will be thinking about you and this and hopefully that will help!