Tuesday, July 31, 2007

i LOVE my life!!!!

So, we've had random guests staying with us for a couple of weeks and bummer (wink! wink!), I've gotten to show them around a bit. Here are the highlights:


We decided to try out another city on the Red Sea called Newiba. We made it a whopping 2 hours before we found a taxi back to Dahab.


The Dahab highlight was when Momo, our Arab friend tried to play Scrabble with us. The best words he got out of the game were "codboy" and "nabkn."

For Leslie's 25th birthday, we had lunch on the Nile and then went for a nightime horse ride at the Pyramids--how cool is my life?


There's nothing like galloping through the desert next to the Pyramids by the light of the moon.

But, my definite favorite thing was the Ahly-Portugal soccer game we went to. This was my first ever soccer game, and better than I even expected!

The two guys on the far left just showed up on my left side and got me to cheer with them. There were quite disappointed when I wouldn't give them my phone number...



This kid was great fun and inspired me to cheer even louder. There was also a 7 year-old boy named Ali sitting next us who taught me all the Arabic cheers so I could cheer along with everyone. At one point, I joined into a cheer, crying out at the top of my lungs, "ooh, ooh, ooh-ahh-ahh!" I continued until I realized everyone around me was laughing. I paused and looked at Ali, who clarified, "it's not 'ooh, ooh, ooh-ahh-ahh,' it's '0, 0, Osama' for one of the players." Oops! My bad!


Yuliya and I showing our "V" for Victory hands after Ahly won.


Oh yeah, I also accidentally got revenge on all the Arab men who seem to have a hard time controlling where they put their hands in regard to my body. As I was walking, I was swinging a bag of trash and swung it back too far--right into the tush of a police officer sitting on a fence. He called something out to me like, "is it really like this?" in a good humored voice, and I just waved my hand at him, unable to speak because of the laughter welling up in me. Ha, Arab men. That'll show you.

Believe it or not, I actually do other things here too, but my language lessons just aren't as thrilling to take pictures of. Today, I adventured a 4 hour meeting in Arabic, including a 45 minute video. Tomorrow, I have Arabic lessons from 7am-11am, a CDP meeting (all in Arabic of course )from 11:30-1:30, and then the CDP kids program from 3:30-7:30pm (also in Arabic). Ha, you would think actually understood the things we talk about.

1 comment:

lesli said...

I love that your sportin' the Mt. Rushmore shirt. I just unpacked mine yesterday and it made me smile! :)