Friday, July 27, 2007

Leaps and Bounds

Well, I had one of my first great Arabic adventures last week. I actually taught a 45 minute lesson in Arabic!!! It was weighing over my head, because I didn't realize that in volunteering to bring lunch, I was also volunteering to teach. I practiced for days with my language teacher, and by a miracle, everyone actually understood me. They even told me I have a good accent. Mish mauool (I cant' believe it)! In actuality, I really believe it was a miracle because no more than 5 minutes after the lesson, I answered a question, and everyone looked around the room blankly because no one understood a thing I said. Amazing.

On another note, here's a heart-stirring quote I recently read by Dr. Martin Luther King:
"We are called to play the Good SAmaritan on life's roadside...but one day we must come to see that the whole Jericho road must be transformed so that men and women will not be constantly beaten and robbed. True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar. It comes to see that a system that produces beggars needs to be repaved. We are called to be the Good Samartian, but after you lift so many people out of the ditch you start to ask, maybe the whole road to Jericho needs to be repaved."

1 comment:

lesli said...

Great job! I am so glad it went well. I was thinking about you! Congrats on thriving, not just surviving, in a new country and new language. Your doing awesome!