Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sing a Song of Celebration

The way to get me to do something I don't want to do is to distract me and then ask. Odds are that I will respond without actually thinking of what I am responding to. I believe this is exactly what happened when my friend Melissa asked me to perform a song with her and another friend of ours in a wedding. Honestly, I have no recollection of the conversation and was quite suprised to get an email a few weeks ago thanking me for agreeing to sing and asking if we could set up a time to practice.

Not only were we performing, but this was our first Christian wedding and it was being held in the city's biggest church. We got there early (as they were tearing the down the previous wedding), but had no sound check because everyone was sharing a mic. There was no program, so we just sat and waited for someone to tell us when to go up. We knew it was time to begin, when we were introduced as "some foreigners who are going to sing for us now." Thanks, like I wasn't already getting enough attention. Before we knew up, at least 20 people were out of their seats crowding around us with their cell phones and cameras to take pictures of the foreign singers. Also pushing through the crowds were the video camera men who put their video cameras uncomfortably close to our faces.

But, all things considered, the song went over well. I closed my eyes for most of it in order to avoid the awkwardness of gawkers. And, I believe the bride and groom (who I never actually met) were pleased.

Also, take note of my sweet outfit (black pants, purple sparkly tank top over black shirt, black and white polka-dotted shoes). You know, in the states when I am with people I know, I can usually wear what I want and pull it off because "it's what Sarah does" but I don't think it works so well in this culture. Let's just say I won't get any cameos in fasion magazines.





No comments: