Seeing as how yesterday was the official Earth Day (though I personally believe that every day should be earth day)...
what are you doing to save the planet???
I once read a quote by Dwight Moody on his environmental views: "Why polish a sinking ship?" I'm hoping that we, as a society (and followers of Christ) have moved past this perspective, and are learning to care for the land God gave us.
Here are some stats:
- The average American contributes 1,859 pounds of air pollution to the atmosphere each year.
- Running a refrigerator and freezer for one year can produce as much pollution as driving a car from Chicago to Las Vegas.
- Each mile a person travels in an airplane accounts for 1.08 pounds of greenhouse gases.
- Every minute, 37,000 empty soft drink bottles are thrown away in the United States
- 70% of the grain we grow in the U.S. is fed to farm animals, and 50% of the water we use is for farm animals.
- The world's cattle alone consume a quantity of food equal to the caloric needs of 8.7 billion people—more than the entire human population on Earth.19 About 20 percent of the world's population, or 1.4 billion people, could be fed with the grain and soybeans fed to U.S. cattle alone.
- It takes 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of edible animal flesh.
- Using re-usable canvas bags for my groceries, rather than plastic.
- Going vegetarian--not only because of the resources wasted on feeding the animals, but also due to the unethical treatment of the animals raised to be eaten.
- Turing off lights (duh)
- Driving with windows open instead of a.c.
- And, of course, recycling plastics and papers.