Friday, April 25, 2008

Shocking... Amazing

A well-known story in the news this month has been about an incident in Florida where a 16-year-old girl was beat up by 6 other girls who lured her to a house and videotaped everything to post on YouTube. The girl even lost consciousness and woke up to more beating. Shocking to even hear about, I had my mouth open in disbelief as I saw portions of the video online. What would drive those teenagers to do something like that?

This morning I read this, in not-so-new news:
"They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand and knelt in front of him and mocked him. 'Hail, king of the Jews!' they said. They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him." (Matthew 27:28-31)

Even behind the counter at the coffee shop I wept as I read those words. A group of guys surrounded and beat up my savior... why? What would drive them to do such a thing? And as I thought of answers to that question I was reminded of a greater truth: Jesus loved them. No matter what they did or why, he would still go to the cross and die so that they might live. The Christ - the unblemished lamb who was slain - extends amazing grace to all. Amazing.

No comments: