Friday, June 13, 2008

The Goats are Goners

A good friend posted some pictures of a sheep sacrifice she observed outside her house yesterday. It was incredibly reminiscent of a number of experiences I had in Egypt. Every once in awhile we'd find a sheep tied up in front of the building, hear the sheep crying (see the crazy video here), or find sheep droppings in the elevator--no joke.

One of the most shocking days I had in Egypt was Eid al-Adha. It's a celebration where every family sacrifices sheep, cows, goats, etc. I was awoken much earlier than usual that morning to the call to prayer. The megaphones from the mosques continued to blare for over an hour. I was supposed to have a 7am language lesson, but my teacher called and told me I should wait for awhile to come over.

I finally made it into a taxi around 9:15 or so when the streets cleared out a bit. There were animals everywhere!!! On my way up to my language lesson, there was a black bull standing in the middle of the road mooing. I greeted the people standing around the bull and went upstairs. A mere two hours later, I found myself in a pool of blood at the bottom of the apartment stairs. I looked around me: the bull's head was on one side of the road, and his skinned remains were on the other.

I walked a ways and flagged down a taxi. Every road we turned down was full of crowds sacrificing animals. The stench of blood and flesh was unbearable!

I'd seen hundreds of animal carcases before hanging in the butcher shops, but this was different. Actually, this was the day that clinched my decision to not eat meat. I just couldn't handle it.

Anyway, after all of those rich descriptions, check out the link to my friend's blog to get a picture of it for yourself.

http://www.consecratedvessel.blogspot.com/

No comments: