Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Bubble


When I was at school at Berry College, I definitely lived in what was affectionately called the "Berry Bubble". Life inside the bubble was great - I could live, eat, work, play, worship and serve without ever having to leave campus. There were stretches of time where I didn't even know what current events were happening or what the latest movies were because I was so engrossed in life within the confines of the bubble. I enjoyed that time of my life - but of course it wasn't an accurate day-to-day representation of what life in the "real world" was like.

I find myself sometimes easing back into a "bubble" lifestyle. It's facilitated in part by the fact that I work where I live, the grocery store is a block away, our church is a two-minute car ride away, and I can get my outdoor fix on the Chattahoochee River. I don't really go out of my way to interact with anyone outside this new bubble.

So I find it difficult when I faced with Scripture that says things like:

"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter - when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? ... and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed..." (Isaiah 58:7-8, 10)

Within my bubble, where do I see the hungry? The poor wanderer? The naked? The oppressed? I read verses like this and my heart is stirred to serve and love in the name of Christ, yet rarely am I faced with obvious need. Is it just that I'm not looking hard enough? Or should I make deliberate steps outside of my bubble and find those whom I could serve?

I trust that as the Spirit guides, I'll no doubt be overwhelmed with opportunities to serve. It's just that right now I've got a desire to have my bubble burst a bit.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Jonathan,
I read your 'bubble post' in the college class this week. Thanks for sharing about your current bubble and letting me share that the Berry bubble often shifts. When I think of followers that exude God's love in their life, you and Sarah are at the top of the list. The scripture you mentioned might not apply in the same way today, but you are certainly being used inside your bubble. You listen to and encourage those who come in your coffee shop. You are building trust among those people, and they know they can come to you and that you care about them. You are the Jesus they see inside the bubble!
Thanks for challenging me to get outside my bubble, and yet to continue serving where I am.
Kathryn