Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Romance-Part 2

Romance is the deepest thing in life. It is deeper even than reality. --G.K. Chesterton

As I said in the first part of this post, Jesus has always been "it" for me. He was my Husband, and though I eventually wanted to be married, I wasn't lacking in romance or love or intimacy. I was actually somewhat fearful of a deep relationship because I thought it would hurt my romance with the Lord.

Fortunately, His ways are higher than mine, and He gave me amazing Jonathan to journey through life with. The first thing that caused me to fall in love with Jonathan was that I saw Jesus in Jonathan more than I saw Jonathan. I knew that through being with Jonathan, I would experience the Lord in even more wild, amazing, and romantic ways than ever before. And I have!!! Jonathan isn't competition for loving God--to love Jonathan IS to love the Lord, and to love the Lord IS to love Jonathan. Already, door after door has been opened for us to love God and love others in ways we couldn't have when we were single.

In marriage, I haven't been completed or satisfied in any way I wasn't before, because Jesus in me is my completion and my satisfaction. I also haven't sold out. Jonathan is God's best for me. Jonathan is "immeasurably more than I could ever ask or imagine" (Eph 3:20). Everyday with him grows better, because every day I fall more deeply in love with Jonathan, and therefore, I fall more deeply in love with God. (Or does it work that I fall in love with God first? Either way, it's incredible.)

Last night, Jonathan and I were able to be wooed together by the Lover of our souls. We sat next to each other and listened to music, prayed, journaled, and read. Neither of us were anticipating a direct and wild encounter with the Lord, but He came and changed us. Through what the Lord was doing in Jonathan, I heard God's love for me in a tender, personal, and powerful way--and with more passion and desire than I have ever heard before. And through what I heard from the Lord, Jonathan and I were able, together, to commit to pursue Him with more abandon and trust.

I'm so thankful that I get to continue my Romance with my Husband walking alongside my husband. I couldn't ask for more!

No comments: