Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My New Chair


Wow, I've been a bad blogger the past few months! I'm not sure if it's just because I haven't had much to write or if I've been too busy to write or something entirely different!

I got a chair last week. Simple I know, but WONDERFUL!!! It feels so good to have a place to get away in our often crowded apartment so I can read and rest and just be. I had admired these Ikea chairs for months but had no reason to spend the money on them. Then, I found one for $80 less than the Ikea price on Craig List, and it was sun faded to the perfect color so I couldn't resist. And I love it!!!

So, in my red chair with the sun shining in my eyes and a cup of coffee on the windowsill, I started to ponder life. Anytime I think about my life right now, I can't believe how blessed I am. I couldn't ask for a better or more perfect life at the moment. I have everything I could ever want and more. Jonathan, even after a year, is the most incredible man in the world to me. I have a great job where I get to help people and a boss who LOVES me and doesn't micromanage even a little bit. We live with 3 other amazing people a 2 minute walk from protected national forest on the Chattahoochee River. We are so thankful for our unpredictable and and exciting church, and the great small group that came out of it. And the list could go on and on.

As I was thanking God for these things, I was also reminded that although these gifts are amazing, He is all I need. But...is He all I want? I've never really defined much of a difference between two concepts before, but I've been reminded to be desperate for Him not only because I need him but because I want Him.

I learned in Egypt that He is all I need because He was all I had. He was all wanted because He was all I had.

But what about when I live in a place where I have everything and Jesus isn't my only option? Is He still everything to me? Is He still all I need? Is He still all I want. I feel like the Lord has brought me out of the time when I wanted Him because I had nothing else into a season where He is challenging me to want Him just as much even though I have everything I could ever want. What an honor the Lord has given me--to trust Him and yearn for Him and want Him when He has given me everything!

No, in that moment we shall discover our heart’s real treasure. If it is the Lord Himself then there will be no backward look. A backward glance decides everything. It is so easy to become more attached to the gifts of God than to the Giver—and even, I should add, to the work of God than to God Himself. –Watchman Nee

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

thanks for those challenging words.
Jesus often gets lost in all our options, instead of being all we want.

Kathryn