Saturday, November 28, 2009

Black Friday

Well, Black Friday in Turkey is a bit different than the states. This year, the Muslim festival of sacrifice fell on Friday (as referenced in a previous post). Jonathan and I woke up to the usual sunrise call to prayer, fell back asleep, woke up an hour later to some more noise coming from the mosque megaphones, fell back asleep, woke up again to cheering, fell asleep, heard the megaphone, heard the cheering, etc., etc.

The day was beautiful, so we decided to head out for a walk before we met some friends for lunch.

Turns out the place where the sheep were being kept is also the place where they were sacrificed. (I believe this was the source of the cheering.) Jonathan walked around there for awhile and I stayed outside. Here are some (graphic) pictures he got:

As we walked down the street on the other side of the sheep, I was looking at something and not paying attention to where I was walking. Just when Jonathan said, "Watch out!", I found myself standing in a pool of blood face to face with a dumpster overflowing with animal guts. My gag reflex kicked in and I quickly moved away, while Jonathan snuck in for another (graphic) picture that also captured my horror and disgust.


We got on the train to meet our friends in a popular touristy area. Some people were dressed up especially nicely due to visiting family. I especially loved this kid working it in his shiny silver suit.

Finally, I took advantage of being in a touristy area and took some pictures of the beautiful day.

The famous Aya Sofia.
The ancient city walls.


1 comment:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.