Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The New Place

We're still getting adjusted to the new place. We LOVE the location. We can find bread, fresh fruits and veggies, meat, spices, and any random piece of houseware we could ever want all within 2 blocks of our house. I realize that most of my readers can find all if this in the same store. But in Turkey, all of those things are found in different stores. So...it's pretty awesome that they're all super close to us. And again...how much better can you get than a 10 minute walk away from 3 different Starbucks?

On the other hand, our apartment continues to surprise us in ways that, perhaps, aren't quite as charming as our location. We have a shifty toilet seat, Jonathan had to re-caulk the kitchen sink, our kitchen faucet isn't actually attached to our kitchen sink, our mattress is significantly bigger than the frame it's laying on, we can hear our neighbors cooking, talking, smoking, watching soap operas, etc. like it's happening in the next room, our washing machine knob has to be manually turned to move it into the next washing cycle, and there are mosquito guts all over the walls which makes us wonder what summertime has for us. All of these things give our apartment lots of character and so far, nothing has been a big problem.

A couple of weeks ago we turned on our heaters. They're old-school radiators that have hot water passing through them. (One of our recent guests referred to them as her Zen fountain.) Anyway, they work fine, which is great and our guests really appreciated them. (Did I mention we had 7 girls staying with us for the last 10 days?) Well, once the girls moved their stuff, I noticed some curious markings on the walls. And as I looked harder, I discovered the markings were mold. Yes, mold. Mold has, in past two weeks, taken over our entire house. I spent the evening scrubbing the walls and corners where it built up. I think it's because the heater makes our apartment more humid than the old walls can handle. Nevertheless, it's super gross and some of it isn't coming off! What should I do??? Here's a lovely picture of the monster:

I'm sure it would help if we hung our laundry outside to dry, which we often do. But, about a week ago, as we walked to class, we were overpowered by the smell of a farm. Turns out, about half a block away, there are hundreds of sheep being held until Friday when they will all be sacrificed for an Islamic holiday.

Forgetting about the smell, I hung a bunch of towels outside to dry yesterday. When I brought them in, I took a big whiff, expecting the delightful smell of laundry detergent and fresh air. Instead, I felt like I had rubbed my face in a dirty animal's fur. The laundry went straight back into the washing machine and is presently air drying next to the moldy wall.

I watched a clip from The Money Pit with my students today, and I couldn't help but laugh because some of it hit a little too close to home.

1 comment:

Malia Willis said...

Have you scrubbed with bleach? i had a mold problem in one of my dorms at GT.
I bet Ali would have enjoyed the smell of sheep so close-by!
We are at my parents' house in GA for Thanksgiving, and last night I was letting him out to potty and he took off into the woods after a deer or rabbit or something.

I hope you both are doing well!

- Malia