Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It Happens

I'm sure as I start to show, I'll have plenty more stories, but this pregnancy story may take the cake.

Though getting pregnant wasn't our primary reason for leaving our job or moving back to the states, it was easier to tell people that's why we were returning. Our last day of work, we went to the English Time main office to pick up our last paycheck and met with our supervisor's boss, the woman who hired us.

Now, when she hired us, she explained that her options were to either move to Turkey 12 years ago or run for public office in the state of Oregon. Every time I interacted with her, I always came back to that thought. She's more political than anyone I've ever met. I was putty in her hands when she spoke with me and would do whatever she wanted, though the promises she made were rarely realized.

That said, she was very understanding of our leaving when I told her we were pregnant and encouraged us that it was the right decision to make. Everything went very normally until we were leaving. She started out by encouraging us saying, "I've only heard good things about you and we'll miss you" and suddenly led into, "but you know, I've worked here long enough to know that..." she motions to my stomach "...s--- happens and that's just how life is."

Jonathan and I froze in surprise, but continued smiling, though we no longer nodded our heads in agreement. She continued talking not realizing what she said. We kept it together until we were out of her eyesight have since revisited the conversation again and again whenever we need a good laugh. She is a kind person and I'm sure she didn't mean it how it sounded, but it's definitely a story worth remembering.

No comments: