Monday, March 29, 2010

Big Week

Typically, it's more fun to spread excitement and change out over a longer period of time, but things never seem to work that way for Jonathan and me.

In the past 9 days:
1. Jonathan opened a new Land of a Thousand Hills Coffeehouse in Cumming.
2. I got offered a Case Manager position at Goodwill in Woodstock.
3. We moved.
4. We found out Baby is a girl!

All of these changes have left us with a combination of excitement, sorrow, busyness, and sleeplessness (as I'm writing this blog before 6am).

As far as the jobs go, we're really happy about both of them. Our ultimate goal is to open our own coffee shop...somewhere...sometime. How great will it be when Jonathan and I get to work together doing what we love? (Well, doing what Jonathan loves. I love being with Jonathan. So we both win!) Jonathan's job is a great step in this direction because he's getting more and more experience.

The Goodwill position was unexpected, but great. I worked for them part time this past month, and was reminded how much I love working with the people Goodwill focuses on. On top of this, due to my relationship with my new boss, we were able to talk through my concerns about taking a job now with our baby coming in August. Honestly, I'm not sure what will happen with work come August. I may stay on full time, I may go part time, or I may quit altogether. There's positives and negatives to all sides.

The saddest part of the week was moving out from living with our amazing community in Atlanta. A number of factors contributed to it, though NONE of the factors involved any issues within the house. We still believe in and support intentional community living as much as we always have! The main issues was the house location. Jonathan was spending upwards of 3 hours a day in the car, and my new job would have left me in the car for 1 1/2 hours. I realize that a lot of people do that every day, but it's not for us. We like to be together way too much to spend so much unnecessary time apart. The other factor was the house layout. There was no place for the baby to live, aside from our closet. She wouldn't remember where she slept for the first few months of her life, but in living with others, our bedroom is our only personal space, and we would lose that due to the baby's sleeping schedule. On top of that, there was no place for us to take a crying baby in the middle of the night that wouldn't wake pretty much everyone up. Our housemates were up for the challenge, but it didn't feel right doing that to all of them. We moved back into the apartment community on the Chattahoochee River we lived in before. Jonathan's and my commutes are both cut in half, but we're still close to our friends and fellowship. (We've definitely learned that isolating ourselves doesn't work for us, so we found a midpoint between work and fellowship.)

The most exciting news of last week was that the life being knit together inside of me is a girl! We were both hoping for a girl which makes it even more exciting. We've settled on a name...but it feels strange announcing it on the blog. I'm sure it'll come out eventually though. The ultrasound was great and she seems perfectly healthy!

We have so much to be thankful for and pray that He continually humbles us and is glorified through us, wherever we are and whatever we're doing. He's worth it!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

YAY! a girl.My girls were just asking if you knew what you were having.