Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fabric to Dress to Jacket (and possibly skirt)

In the Pascual family, every single gathering involves at least 15-20 minutes of picture taking. Every combination and every position is tried with no less than 4 people "directing" the show. In order to get myself excited for one of our official photo shoots done by the incredible Blume Photography, I decided I would make myself a dress to wear. I found a great pattern online, bought the fabric, cut out the pattern, learned how to make button holes, sleeves, collars, and do zippers, tried it on, and then remembered that I am still not back to my pre-pregnancy size. Therefore, I don't love how I look in most clothes. And unfortunately, this dress maximized what I would like to minimize. Some of it was my fault, as I picked a heavy fabric which made it worse. Here is the dress:

A day before the photo shoot, I decided I would take it apart and turn the dress into a jacket and skirt. It was actually pretty easy. I just ripped out the zipper (I spent an hour putting in) and added a panel to the bottom of the jacket. The skirt is yet to be made.


I ended up not even wearing the jacket for the photo shoot, but broke it in last week at work. Honestly, it's probably not something I would buy at the store, but I have a great fondness for it because of all the things I learned how to do making it and all the hours I put into it.

What I really want to do is take a pattern making class from Whipstitch, but it's a bit out of the budget right now. I'll just add it to my wish list...along with an iPhone, a new sewing machine, these Ugandan twins (read the whole saga and you'll want them too!), a cruise, a dentist appointment, a superpower, to fit into my pre-pregnancy pants, and a house.

2 comments:

Stacee said...

I love the jacket!! So gorgeous!
I'm with you on the wanting a house as well!

Kathryn said...

That is quite a wish list! Congrats on being able to sew and have a newborn...that qualifies for supermom, which must be b/c you have superpowers.