Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Diaper Bag

Sewing is my catharsis.  There's pretty much nothing that relaxes me more than creating something out of fabric.

That said, this bag idea came on a much needed day where my crazy post-pregnancy, presently-nursing hormones went even more out of whack than normal.  I think Jonathan would tell you he was happy he had plans on Saturday.

So, I took all of my angst and after a 6 hours, 4 feedings, 3 chick flicks, and a VERY messy apartment, I ended up with this:


I found the free tutorial here.  The only change I made was to add a little pocket on the back (which I forgot to take a picture of), and I sewed the pockets on differently than directed due to some measuring mistakes.  Oh yeah, and I didn't interface the bag.  Only the straps.

I can't remember where I found the pattern for the flower I made. 

 You can't see this, but I even designed one of the pockets to hold her bottles upright so I don't end up with a milky mess on the way to daycare.


All in all, I can actually say that this is the best sewing job I've ever done.  I would actually feel comfortable selling this bag it's so well done.  And...I sewed with a comfort level of actually knowing how to do stuff rather than guessing my way through it.  Awesome!!! 

5 comments:

Stacee said...

So cute! Love the color choices!!

Leah Case said...

this is sooooo cute!!!!

Jonathan said...

I helped pick out the button for the flower!

the Beckster said...

oh.my.gosh...you're awesome!!!

Sew Much Ado said...

Great job, it turned out really cute! I love the fabrics you chose!
p.s. I'd love it if you added pics to the Sew Much Ado flickr pool, here's the link if you'd like:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1275633@N25/