Monday, December 20, 2010

Jonathan's Tats

Okay, so I know I've only written maybe 7 posts in the history of this blog, but I guess it's never too late to attempt to be a regular blogger. And since Sarah did a tattoo blog pretty recently, I thought I'd do a complementary explanation of my adventures in ink.

I got all three of my tattoos from Arte Sagrado down in Lima, Peru. They did a great job with all of them, and it was mondo inexpensive too!

Tattoo #1:

The inspiration for this one was the time I spent down in South America with a group of guys and girls dedicated to sharing Jesus with indigenous people in fairly remote regions of the Andes Mountains and the Amazon Jungle. I designed this tattoo for me and two other guys who were my traveling partners. It's a cross (for Jesus reasons) made of bamboo (connection to the jungle) and tilted to also be an "X" (because our team was called the "Xtreme Team").

Tattoo #2:

As Sarah hinted at in her post, I had no idea we would eventually get together when I stole her idea for a wrist tattoo of scripture. My take on it: Two verses in New Testament Greek. It's 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17. "Be joyful always. Pray continually." It's a great reminder for me of what my faith walk should look like on a daily basis.





Tattoo #3:

So this is actually my family crest. You can ask my dad about all the history and genealogy of our family, but the relevant stuff is that "Pascual" basically means Easter and has very Christian roots. Two of the quadrants of the coat of arms has the "agnus dei" symbol ("lamb of God"), and around the border in Latin it reads "from under whose feet the living waters flow", which is a line from a book of vespers from a pope or something like that.

As far as I know, no one in the world (except my two buddies) shares any of my exact tattoos. I like that they're unique and meaningful, as tattoos should be. I'd love to get something else done, maybe a bit bigger. I'll let you know when that happens...

No comments: