Monday, December 20, 2010

More with Less Monday

Families work best when at least one person likes to cook.  That way, you know you'll always get good food.  Unfortunately, neither of us love to cook.  We'll do it and it'll be fine, but there's no thrill in preparing and sitting down to a meal.

I tossed around the idea of writing down what we eat for a week, but then I realized how humiliating it would be confessing to the blog world that we eat both Burger King and Kraft Mac n' Cheese once a week.

But, we are both much better cooks when living in other countries.  Fast and processed food is much more difficult to come by in other places. In Egypt, my fast meal was a ful and musaka (I have no idea how to write those words in English) sandwich. In Turkey, it was chicken doner (most people know it is shwarma).  Both of those snacks get old pretty quickly.

So, I figured I'd spotlight my favorite cookbook in the world.  The More With Less Cookbook.  This is absolutely the best cookbook for:
1.  Living simply on a small budget
2.  Living in a country where complicated ingredients are hard to come by. 
3.  Leaving a smaller carbon footprint on the world.

This cookbook was written by the Mennonite Church years and years ago with the tag line, "Suggestions by the Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources."

Doesn't even the thought of eating better and being more wise with the resources you consume make you feel great?

I haven't made everything in the cookbook, but my favorite things in it are the Basic Lentil Soup, Tomato Soup, Lentil Burgers, and Pancakes.  (Did you even know that you can make pancakes without a store bought mix?).  I also ADORE the homemade Indian chai tea from the More with Less: Extending the Table Cookbook.

So, I highly recommend this book. If I only had one cookbook to live by, it would be this one.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Of course you can make pancakes without a mix! But the mix is easy and that's what we like, fast & easy. I love to cook, but I can't say my food is quick or leaves a smaller carbon footprint. I do compost peels, cores, and discards from cooking. I don't use my compost for anything, just saving the dump from more stuff.
Thanks for the cookbook recommendation, will check it out.

BradyandLiana said...

Brady makes pancakes from scratch almost every saturday!
does the book have natural ingredients? it's easy to eat cheap. not so easy to eat cheap and food that is good for you.