Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Tattoos

I like tattoos.  Actually, most people in my generation probably like tattoos.

I got my first tattoo when I was 8 years ago...back in the day before it was popular to get wrist tattoos.  Jonathan and I met later that year and he thought my wrist tattoo was cool too.  Back then, we had no idea we'd fall in love and get married so he got a similar tattoo.  Now we're the cheesy couple with matching tattoos.

(If this picture looks bad, it's because it's a picture of a picture.  The actual photograph by Blume Photography is great.)

My wrist tattoo is two verses that remind me that I no longer live and it's Christ in me.
Philippians 1:21-For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Galatians 2:20-I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me.
And now, on the [near] year anniversary of my second tattoo, I decided it was time to share it with the blogging world.  (Actually, I just needed to make sure my parents saw it first.)

So...here is my year-old tattoo that I dreamed up, Jonathan designed, and Tanner executed.  Yes, it was in Turkey...and no mom, I don't have HIV or Hepatitis.  The needle and ink were clean. 

When you think of tattoo parlors, what kind of music do you imagine playing?  Maybe some screaming, angry music?  Well, we listened to the best of late 80s soft rock.  My favorite song we listened to was "Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx circa 1989.  Awesome.

Even though I like tattoos, I'm not a big fan of the pain.  To keep my mind off of it I was telling Jonathan a story, but I was talking so quickly the tattoo artist stopped and asked me if I was rapping.
I really like the location of my tattoo...except the one problem is that I rarely see it.

Here's the only post-healed picture I have of it.  Thanks again to the incredible Blume Photography.
What does this tattoo mean, you ask?

The tattoo starts with a wave in the middle of it.  God has always spoken to me through being around water.  It's refreshing and life-giving.  One time, while praying, I asked God, "Who do you want to be to me?"  He replied, "I am your fountain."   Psalm 36:9 says, "For with You is the fountain of life, in Your light do we see life."

The next picture is a bird. There are two separate meanings to this one.  The bird itself is symbolic of a nightingale [even though it doesn't look like one].  Nightingales are famous for being loud and singing in the nighttime.  When they are in cities and loud places, they sing even louder.  My hope is that I can be a nightingale--one who sings loudly of hope and peace and love and eternity.  I want to sing in the darkest of nights and the most desolate of places.  The heart is a reminder that I sing because He gave me a new heart.  Ezekiel 36:26 says, "And I will give you a new heart and a new spirit I will put within you."

The olive branches are reminders of the fruit that will be produced through me if I remain in Christ.  "I am the vine and you are the branches.  Whoever abides in me and I in him, he is it that bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

Jonathan has 3 tattoos, and plans for more.  His are awesome as well.  Maybe I can get him to post about his tattoos in the future.

What tattoos do you have?  What tattoos do you dream of getting?

3 comments:

Mary said...

LOVE this Sarah! So interesting to read the stories... Thanks for sharing sweet friend.

Mitzi said...

Glad I bumped into this blog. I love to read/hear from you Sarah!
I too have a beloved tat on my back...that i can't see much....it's in hebrew from Psalm 139. "fearfully and wonderfully made". I need reminding of this as a stranger in the world that tries to tell me the opposite. But again, the reminder is on my back. boo. My next one will be somewhere i see all the time...perhaps a wrist!? ha

Anonymous said...

what writing is his tattoo in? thanks!