Monday, March 07, 2011

More With Less Monday: TV

(source)
Let's be honest, not much good comes from TV.  And yet...I'm totally addicted.  Anytime there's a TV around, I become a zombie and forget anything exists outside of TV.

And that my friends, is why we don't have a TV.

Nope.  Not even for movies.  We've been offered at least 3 or 4 by friends who have taken pity on us, but we turned them down.  We don't want a TV in our home.  Of course we still watch shows on Hulu (for free!), but we even try to limit that.

Here's how I see it:
At the end of every day, Jonathan and I say the best part of our day, the worst part of our day, and where we saw God.  The best part of my day has NEVER been a certain show I watched on TV.  And I usually regret those days I waste just catching up on my Hulu queue.

I thought TV was a good thing to address this week, because Jonathan and I have decided that we're going to give up TV shows altogether for the season of lent.   We've tried to restrict our viewing in different ways over the past couple of months, but can't seem to follow the guidelines we set up for ourselves.  So, we're giving it up cold turkey.  This doesn't mean forever, but for 40 days at least.

(source)
Everyone is different and has different limits of what they can watch, but I guess I'm just extra sensitive because there are so many shows on TV that I can't even handle watching (or shouldn't be watching) because they are so offensive to me.  They normalize and condone so many things that I fight to not have in my life.  Before I know it, I'm completely desensitized to things I feel so firmly against.  I'm not going to get into details because there are two sides to every story, but it's worth thinking about.

Are the shows you're watching building you up, tearing you down, or neutral?  What do you think about when you're finished watching your favorite shows?  How do you feel when they end?

I hope to live in a way that brings life and hope and freedom to everything I do.  Unfortunately (for my zombie tendencies), the TV shows I watch usually don't live into that dream.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Great idea Sarah! Television is addicting and it seems to take us away from conversation and relationships. It also promotes a culture that Christ is in direct opposition with. Laughing and watching is similar to saying that it is okay. "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Phil 4:8
-Jess

Mawz Del Tov said...

Good on you. I really can't stand television, if only for the commercials. While I agree that it turns people into ghoulish zombies, I think the real crime is filling people up with ever-changing emotion and ambitions.

Great post!

Jonathan said...

I can't wait to start this, love.

Calvin said...

So we just cancelled our cable now that I am back to work. Its good but hard...the addiction of tv is very deeply woven in me. But hey, we are saving $70 a month without it! Crazy! Now I just have to figure out what exactly "more" I will be doing with our less. :)

Sarah said...

Excellent post. Good luck this week as you work through this TV fast!
So interesting (but not surprising) how these simple worldly things just latch onto us and create such distractions from the One our heart truly needs!
And you are so spot on with the desensitization that TV, movies, etc. bring. Not good!

HSB said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see how this goes! I loved living without a TV in college and when I was single. TV is NOT one of my favorite things. There's just not a lot on it that would make Jesus proud.

Mark from Dallas said...

your so right about television addiction. Following and supporting

Julianne said...

Hey Sarah!
I want to do more with less! I've read all the ones on this page, and I'd like to make my own laundry detergent and do better with groceries. We saw a home lender this weekend and she said, "and how much do you spend on groceries per month for the two of you? $150?" and I was embarrassed because I spend much more than that! oof.