Sunday, June 05, 2011

Summer Sunsuit

When I ran across this colorful seersucker fabric in the 50% off remnants section, I knew exactly what I was going to do with it.  Summer is finally here for me to show off Rory's ridiculously adorable chunky legs, and what better way to do it than through a sunsuit?  I've had Made By Rae's Baby Sunsuit Tutorial on my "to make" list for quite awhile now and this was the perfect fabric for it.

It was much easier than I even thought it would be!

In the process, I learned how to smock fabric.  (Smocking is where the fabric is gathered and stretchy.)

Smocking is sooooo easy too! I smocked both the top and the legs of the sunsuit.

The other thing I learned to do was installing snaps.  This project had a bit of a bigger learning curve for me and I had to replace one of the snaps (hence the different colors).


The worst part was that the very first time I tried this on Rory, she scratched her foot on the broken snap and wailed and wailed.  It never feels good to see your kid cry...especially if you caused it!  Of course she got over it in a minute and was fine.


All I've gotta say, is I think she'll finish out the summer with a few more sunsuits.  This cuteness needs to be continued.

Photo Shoot Outtakes:

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

I'm always impressed with your sewing skills. But, can I remind you that one day Rory will not be happy to show off her "chunky legs"!

Jackleen said...

Sarah, Rory is so lucky to have a mom like you. Wish I were as talented in the area of sewing. Also, I love "chunky legged" babies. All of mine had them.

Miss you, Jackie

jennifer anderson said...

very cute. beautiful baby also. thanks for sharing.

altron dalimunthe said...

Nice baby,,,