Tuesday, January 03, 2012
Because of her various sewing projects, Sarah's always had a bunch of random fabric lying around in boxes and shelves. The disorganization made it hard for her to find a specific color or pattern when she would start new projects. We're in the middle of setting up her craft room in our neato finished attic loft area, so it was an opportune time to organize that pile of fabric.
First we looked at other bloggers' fabric organization systems in order to get ideas. A lot of people seem to use "The Fabric Organizer". Very functional and neat looking, but at almost $2 a board, we had to find a cheaper alternative. the little green bean used foam core board, which ends up looking the same at a fraction of the price. At the cheapest online price, each of those boards costs about $0.44 to make. However, we thought the foam core board might get bent pretty easily and eventually need replacing.
Our solution: Hardboard. We wandered the lumber aisles at Home Depot and stumbled on something that looked perfect for our project.
We used 1/8 in thick hardboard, 4 x 8 ft. The guys at the nearby cuttings station were able to cut it down to pieces 1 sq. ft. each (they weren't able to do any smaller than that). When I did a return trip to get more made, I found out they usually charge for cutting stuff for you. But the second guy did it for free also! Each hardboard sheet yielded 32 squares, so it ended up costing just $0.25 a board! And it's a material that seems like it'll last a long time.
At home, we folded and wrapped all the loose fabric around the boards. For lesser amounts, we did two pieces of fabric per board. After a little bit of color organizing, we loaded up a set of spare bookshelves and ended up with this:
Stay tuned for more posts of Sarah's craft room!