Saturday, April 28, 2012

Uganda-Part 3

We met the twins on our fifth day in Uganda.  We weren't really sure what to expect, but had imagined what the moment would be like for a long, long time.  We were very eager to meet the twins, but also made an effort to drink in every moment before we met them, because our imagination of what it would be was perfect. There's so much sweetness in imagining and anticipating a big change because it's filled with excitement and passion without the challenges.

We arrived right around lunch time and the kids were sitting at the table waiting to eat.  We found the twins immediately, but they stayed sitting at the table and ate their lunch.  All of the kids were squirming to leave the table and see us, but I think the children's home was pretty strict about remaining at the table until the they are released.  They all ate their meals within less than 5 minutes and everyone then drank a big glass of water.  After that, it was a free-for-all where all the kids ran for us and dove in our laps.  It was great to meet the kids, but definitely overwhelming in that we just wanted to get to know our little girls and spend some time with them, but all of the kids needed love and attention.

After the initial introduction, the kids pulled out a big drum and sang and danced for us for probably 3 hours until we left for dinner and the twins stayed at the home.  (We're not posting public pics of any of the other kids at the orphange, so the pictures we can post are limited.)

Ants for an afternoon snack!

The kids were fascinated with Rory.

Monday night was the first night the twins stayed with us at our hotel.  We should have been better prepared for what would ensue, but we hadn't thought that far ahead.  They were silly and happy until we turned out the lights and Favor fell apart.  She screamed and wailed in my arms until she fell asleep about an hour later.  I, of course, cried as well.  I can't imagine how scary it must be for a 4 year old to be dropped off in a new place with new people and not entirely understand what is even going on.  (The next night she cried for about 15 minutes, and the night after that she didn't cry at all.)
Our hotel: It was an eco-hotel, which basically means that there was no hot water or air conditioning and it took about an hour to get the food we ordered.

Welcome to Africa.

Our first night together.
We spent Sunday at church and playing with kids at the orphanage.
The church

You'll see Rory's pacifier in her mouth for this entire trip.  I did that intentionally so as to keep the rest of Africa out of her month.  She was also a real trooper and wore long sleeves, long pants, and boots in 90 degree weather in effort to help prevent malaria.  It worked and she didn't get sick at all.

For breakfast, the kids had a banana and a cup of porridge.

A local family.  The mother had 3 sets of twins!

Some local kids coming to the well to get water.

The squatty potties.

The view from the orphanage.

Rory's best friend, Ken.  He was our amazing Western Uganda facilitator.

Cooking a meal.

Most of the land around our area was tea farms, so this man was probably farming some land nearby.

Chickens were everywhere!

Where they did all of the cooking for the kids.

Rory in a pineapple field.

One of the farm workers and her daughter.

I can't remember what this bird is called, but it was really special that we saw one.

Our typical car rides.

Next up...court in Fort Portal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
this is Julie whom I met you at the embassy getting my visa for my daughter, when you first arrived. I love your photos! I am very happy for you and your beautiful family! Thanks for posting the daily Uganda photos. It is great for people to see what actually goes on during the adoption process! Blessings,